How to Prepare Your Property for the Fall Season
Happy September! It’s important to get your home ready for the change of weather. Below are a few tips for how to prepare your home for fall.
- Test safety devices: Are your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices working? Batteries often time die during the winter months as cold temperatures slow or ultimately stop the chemical reactions (the power source) inside the battery.
- Clean your humidifier: Failure to clean humidifiers can result in growth of mold, bacteria, and certain germs.
- Eliminate drafts: Ensure cold air can’t seep through your windows. If you feel a draft, you should consider replacing seals or purchasing sturdier drapery.
- Inspect trees: Are there any broken, overgrown or suspicious limbs? Become a branch detective! Ensure no branches are too close to power lines (which can cause a fire) or to your roof.
- Organize your shed: Clear your garage of summer equipment, furniture, etc. and move it into the shed! Swap your summer items out for fall items for easier access.
- Secure all loose outdoor furniture and prepare to store them inside: Wind gusts blow over your outdoor furnishings, flower pots, parked bicycles, etc. Snow and heavy rains can damage your properties too. If you must leave certain items outside, consider chaining or roping them to a secure foundation.
Make sure the following aspects of your property are clean:
- The roof
- The chimney and fireplace
- The siding
- The gutters
- The water drainage
- The pipes and spouts
Keep in mind that preventative maintenance is cheaper than emergency repairs and damage!
If you need help safeguarding your home, SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney and of Silver Spring North are here to offer you there services and expertise. Give us a call at (301) 340-1313.