Learn More About Summer Storms in Maryland
While our summer season here in Maryland brings us pleasant warm weather and sunshine, it also gives us a fair share of summer storms. Recently, the area has experienced thunderstorms which brought about heavy rains and strong winds, causing trees and powerlines to fall. Lightning, thunder, flying debris and hail can also occur during these storms.
Just last week our emergency services team responded to a residential loss pertaining to a tree that fell on the side of a townhome during a thunderstorm. Our team tarped the affected area to prevent further damage to the home. This emergency tarping prevented other elements, such as rain and dust, from entering inside the cracks and openings of the siding, which the fallen tree caused.
Here are a few tips to make your property more secure during a storm:
- Get your roof and foundation checked out! Are there any cracks in your roof? If so, call a professional to have it repaired ASAP.
- Remove any tree branches that pose risk to breaking a window, for example. Getting a tree trimming before the summer storm season begins is a wise idea.
- Invest in storm windows.
- Bring all patio furniture, grills, etc. indoors before the storm hits.
- Tightly secure outdoor items you cannot bring indoors.
- Have a favorite potted plant? You will want to bring that inside until the storm passes over too.
- If you have a garage, park your vehicle inside it before the storm hits.
- If you must evacuate due to the storm, secure and board up windows.
We hope you find these tips helpful and wish you an enjoyable and safe summer!
Did you learn anything new from this blog? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook to learn more tips.
Facebook: SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North