Follow these tips to prevent fire hazards
Warm weather brings many of us outdoors, for barbecue and cookouts with family, friends and neighbors.
In Montgomery County, MD, we’re able to enjoy certain activities specifically in the summertime, whether it be outdoor cooking, camping or going to watch fireworks. These activities create many wonderful summer memories between family and friends. SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North offers the following information to help those gatherings and celebrations safe and fun.
As you know, fire can spread quite easily in hot, dry air. It spreads more rapidly when wind is present. Our weather in Maryland is often hot, but windy, so it’s important we pay attention to and follow safety precautions.
- Instead of lighting your own fireworks, watch a public viewing. Leave the lighting up to the professionals.
- If you do choose to use fireworks, do not attempt to re-light those that never lit on the first try. Instead, dump them in a bucket of water and properly dispose later.
- Propane and charcoal grills are to be used outside only.
- Make sure your grill is well away from you home. Keep it out from under roof edges and keep it away from tree branches, shrubbery, etc.
- Remove all grease buildup on your grill to avoid starting a fire.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Be sure to keep kids and pets away from it.
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothes while cooking outside.
- Do not pour lighter fluid directly onto a lit grill.
- Make sure the coals from a charcoal grill are completely cool before disposing. Cover the coals with water and mix to ensure they are extinguished.
- Make sure the park or town you are starting a campfire at allows them before lighting one.
- Do not build a campfire near dry leaves or around any overhanging tree branches. Clear any vegetation in the area in which you dig your campfire pit in.
- Do not dig your firepit near your tent.
- Watch the campfire closely, never leaving it unattended.
- Always keep lots of water near your campfire.
- Once finished, completely extinguish the fire.
We hope these tips help you to enjoy your summer and be safe at the same time! And if in the unfortunate event you have a fire or water damage situation, call SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North at 301-340-1313.
We're open 24/7 and always here to help!