Preparing for colder temperature
With Winter approaching, there are simple steps that can be taken to ensure your home is ready to withstand the cold temperatures. Most steps are inexpensive and take little time, but can help avoid property damage that can be costly to repair.
Following are a few tips to consider before Winter arrives:
1) Seal off drafty windows and patio doors with clear plastic.
2) Insulate the hot water lines around your hot water heater and turn down the temperature to the "warm" setting.
3) Replace your furnace filter.
4) Use a programmable thermostat to reduce heating costs when no one is home.
5) Keep all vents and baseboard heaters clean.
6) Install foam insulators behind the face plates of light switches and electrical outlets.
7) Remove any window unit air conditioners.
8) Shut the vents in rooms that aren't used.
In the unfortunate event you experience a pipe burst or other water damage in your home or business, SERVPRO Team Gutierrez of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring is here to help 24/7 and just a phone call away. 301-340-1313.