Summer storms are here -- Be prepared!
Thunder, lightning and hail can occur during storms that can greatly damage properties. Be prepared!
While Summer here in Maryland brings us lots of sunshine and pleasant warm weather, it also gives us a fair share of storms. And it’s looking like an active storm season as the Hurricane Season, which runs through Nov. 30.
In recent weeks and now with Hurricane Elsa lashing Florida and heading the East Coast including our Maryland region, we have seen some heavy rain and strong winds, causing trees and powerlines to fall in some counties. Lightning, thunder, flying debris and hail can also occur during these storms.
Just last week our emergency services team responded to a residential loss pertaining to a tree that fell on the side of a townhome during a thunderstorm. Our team tarped the affected area to prevent further damage to the home. This emergency tarping prevented other elements, such as rain and dust, from entering inside the cracks and openings of the siding, which the fallen tree caused.
Here are a few tips to make your property more secure during a storm:
Get your roof and foundation checked out. Are there any cracks in your roof? If so, call a professional to have it repaired ASAP.
Remove any tree branches that pose risk to breaking a window, for example. Getting a tree trimming before the summer storm season begins is a wise idea.
Invest in storm windows.
Bring all patio furniture, grills, etc. indoors before the storm hits.
Tightly secure outdoor items you cannot bring indoors.
Bring potted plants inside until the storm passes over.
If you have a garage, park your vehicle inside it before the storm hits.
If you must evacuate due to the storm, secure and board up windows.
We hope you find these tips helpful and wish you an enjoyable and safe summer!
SERVPRO® of Rockville-Olney – along with our sister franchises SERVPRO® of Silver Spring North, SERVPRO® of Laurel and Greenbelt NE/Beltsville E – is a full-service restoration company that specializes in the cleanup, restoration & reconstruction of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage. We also mitigate mold & mildew, and biohazards from your home or business. Call us 24/7 at 301-340-1313 and let us help make it "Like it never even happened."
Follow these tips to prevent fire hazards
Grilling is part of the outdoor summer entertainment. Enjoy, but practice safety measures to prevent a fire!
Warm weather brings many of us outdoors, for barbecue and cookouts with family, friends and neighbors.
In Montgomery County, MD, we’re able to enjoy certain activities specifically in the summertime, whether it be outdoor cooking, camping or going to watch fireworks. These activities create many wonderful summer memories between family and friends. SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North offers the following information to help those gatherings and celebrations safe and fun.
As you know, fire can spread quite easily in hot, dry air. It spreads more rapidly when wind is present. Our weather in Maryland is often hot, but windy, so it’s important we pay attention to and follow safety precautions.
- Instead of lighting your own fireworks, watch a public viewing. Leave the lighting up to the professionals.
- If you do choose to use fireworks, do not attempt to re-light those that never lit on the first try. Instead, dump them in a bucket of water and properly dispose later.
- Propane and charcoal grills are to be used outside only.
- Make sure your grill is well away from you home. Keep it out from under roof edges and keep it away from tree branches, shrubbery, etc.
- Remove all grease buildup on your grill to avoid starting a fire.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Be sure to keep kids and pets away from it.
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothes while cooking outside.
- Do not pour lighter fluid directly onto a lit grill.
- Make sure the coals from a charcoal grill are completely cool before disposing. Cover the coals with water and mix to ensure they are extinguished.
- Make sure the park or town you are starting a campfire at allows them before lighting one.
- Do not build a campfire near dry leaves or around any overhanging tree branches. Clear any vegetation in the area in which you dig your campfire pit in.
- Do not dig your firepit near your tent.
- Watch the campfire closely, never leaving it unattended.
- Always keep lots of water near your campfire.
- Once finished, completely extinguish the fire.
We hope these tips help you to enjoy your summer and be safe at the same time! And if in the unfortunate event you have a fire or water damage situation, call SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North at 301-340-1313.
We're open 24/7 and always here to help!
SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney wins Contractor Connection's TOP Award!
From left, SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney co-owners Michelle and Jorge Gutierrez and Office Manager Megan Sweeney.
All of us here at SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney are both thrilled and humbled to have won the Crawford Contractor Connection Performance Excellence Award for our district, the highest honor within the industry network, plus The Golden Hammer Award for Top Performers across the country. The awards are presented each year to performance leaders based on overall excellence measured by estimate upload TIP, customer service scores, professionalism in communication, cooperation and overall POMS scores.
SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney is among the 6,000+ contractors in the network, and represents the Tri-State District that includes Maryland, D.C., Delaware & Pennsylvania. SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney is recognized as a top performer in the region throughout the year, having consistently scored high marks for:
*Quality of Service & Repairs
*Professionalism & Customer Service
*Timeliness of Response & Completion of Work
Click to watch the award announcement & recognition: https://fb.watch/61OwEyXJlw/
Contractor Connection, an industry leader in contractor managed repair and home improvement services, provides insurance carriers and consumers a national network of residential and commercial contractors that are vetted and managed for performance, quality, timeliness and customer satisfaction.
We are open 24/7 and here to help with any water, fire and mold damage cleanup and restoration, among other services including reconstruction. Call us at 301-340-1313.
Give Your Customers, Patrons a Higher Level of Clean!
Give your customers the high level of clean they expect. SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney can help!
Businesses small and large in Maryland now have the green light to operate at full capacity; while that is great news for all, business owners and patrons are encouraged to continue to take safety measures and common sense when among large gatherings.
State officials eased most of the remaining restrictions on public gatherings and commerce in mid-May, ending the Covid-19 pandemic that upended most everyday life since March 2020. Businesses such as hair salons, boutique shops and restaurants can return to 100 percent capacity, both indoors and out. Even entertainment & arts venues, conventions and other indoor places such as gyms and houses of worship, can now take place at full capacity, as can professional sports venues including baseball parks.
Owners and property managers of business shops and larger facilities may consider a professional, deep sanitization before welcoming back your customers and patrons. Our latest program —Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned — is a defensive cleaning program that gives your business a way forward by providing your employees & customers ongoing safety and assuredness. Our proactive viral pathogen cleaning program will help your business meet a higher standard of clean.
Call SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney today at 301-340-1313 to schedule a free consultation. We look forward to hearing from you; our SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney team is here to help!
Be ready for Hurricane Season with a SERVPRO Ready Plan – Free!
Six to 10 hurricane-strength hurricanes are predicted this year. Be prepared with a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan by calling us, 301-340-1313!
Are you prepared for a big storm? Now is a good time to have a plan – a SERVPRO Ready Plan – in the event of an unexpected natural disaster!
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration this week predicted 13 to 20 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), 6 to 10 of those could reach hurricane strength with winds of 74 mph+, including 3 to 5 Category 3-5 major hurricanes with winds of 111 mph or higher. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through Nov. 30.
“Now is the time for communities along the coastline as well as inland to get prepared for the dangers that hurricanes can bring,” said U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan, or ERP, is a FREE tool for property managers, risk managers and owners, both residential and commercial. It allows the user to create an emergency ready profile of their facility containing critical information to help speed up response time after fire or water damage. Help is then just a few clicks away.
Contact SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney and Silver Spring North at 301-340-1313 today so we can help you prepare your free ERP assessment!
Make Your Business, School & Home Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned!
SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney is here to help you feel safe and secure during the pandemic!
As more and more businesses and corporate America, as well as schools and other institutions reopen, it's more important than ever to make sure your places of work and business are certified clean to protect you and your patrons.
Even places like hair salons and barbershops have been accommodating more customers, still following strict protocol.
Here at SERVPRO® of Rockville-Olney and SERVPRO® of Silver Spring North, our technician teams have been called by numerous business owners, community leaders and residents to clean, disinfect and sanitize their homes and facilities.
Our experienced teams at SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney and SERVPRO of Silver Spring North continue to offer proactive cleaning services, including the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned defensive pathogen cleaning program, carefully following both CDC and local guidelines, to the many businesses and residences in Montgomery County, Maryland and surrounding areas.
We offer proactive cleaning services to the following (but not limited to):
* SCHOOL FACILITIES AND CHILDCARE/DAYCARE CENTERS
* ASSISTED LIVING FACILITIES
* LOCAL SMALL BUSINESSES (HAIR AND NAIL SALONS, RESTAURANTS)
* ENTERTAINMENT FACILITIES (MOVIE THEATERS)
* GROCERY STORES
* WAREHOUSES AND MANUFACTURING FACILITIES
To learn more about our specialized cleaning services, including the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned defensive pathogen cleaning program, call us today at 301-340-1313. We're here to help!
Working from Home?
Update your home office to help improve your experience of working from home!
Although a growing number of workers have returned to their offices, there's still a large population of Americans still working from home due to the pandemic. The consensus is that the workplaces and how America conducts business may never fully return to the way it was before the Covid-19 pandemic.
So if you have transitioned from working in an office to working in your home, you’ve had to make many adjustments! SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North offer these tips to help make the best of working from home:
- Arrange your workspace in a way you’ll be the most organized and the least distracted
- Inform your family members or roommates of your work schedule and create rules to diminish disruptions and distractions. Talking to family and friends is very tempting, so you may need to close your door or drown out chatter with classical music
- Create a schedule that you follow each day, including clearly defined work hours
- Learn something new! Watch webinars or attend a virtual training your company may offer
- Focus on communication! You don’t get to see your boss and coworkers face-to-face for the time being, so call, text, and email them regularly
- Take a break! Make sure you know your company’s break policy, and take advantage of it. Go for a walk to take in sunshine during your break before having to return back indoors to complete your assignments
- Keep an agenda book or calendar. Write down deadlines and meeting dates, as these can be easy to forget when working from home
- Turn off the notifications on your personal phone (such as Instagram and Twitter notifications) to minimize getting distracted from your work
We hope these tips help and wish you much success!
Let us help you get back to business!
These signs give your customers confidence that your place of business offers a clean & safe environment.
As more and more Americans get vaccinated against Covid-19, and our as our communities reopen, we’re all on our way toward a new kind of normal. And as larger gatherings are now permitted, staying safe and well continues to be a top concern.
The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney and SERVPRO of Silver Spring North have seen a huge spike in local businesses large & small reaching out to us to get their properties cleaned and sanitized.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
As the top choice in fire & water cleanup and restoration, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home. Call SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North today at 301-340-1313.
Spring is nice, but best to be prepared!
Lightning can cause severe damage to property. Be prepared!
Ahhh! Spring… Balmy weather one day; frigid to near-freeze temperature overnight. To wear a sweater or not. To bring in the plants or not…
Spring weather can be unpredictable, as many of us here in the Washington, D.C. region have experienced a time or two. Remember the heavy April snowfall over a decade ago? And the wind gusts of 20-30+ mph every now and then?
While we can’t predict when severe weather hits, we can always plan for those unexpected storms to minimize injury to ourselves and damages to our properties. A viable plan of action for storms, floods, tornadoes, even fires, can save lives and costly repairs in the aftermath of severe weather that can occur, even within the same day.
Mark Twain said it best: “In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours.”
Preparing an emergency kit to keep on hand is a great start to advance planning for storms. Some items to include, as suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, are:
- A battery-operated flashlight, a battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio, and extra batteries for both
- An emergency evacuation or shelter plan, including a map of your home and routes to safety from each room
- A list of important personal information, including:
- telephone numbers of neighbors, family and friends
- insurance and property information
- telephone numbers of utility companies
- medical information
- A 3–5 day supply of bottled water and nonperishable food
- Personal hygiene items
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- A first-aid kit, which may include:
- non-latex gloves
- assortment of adhesive bandages
- antibiotic ointment
- sterile gauze pads in assorted sizes
- absorbent compress dressings
- adhesive cloth tape
- aspirin packets
Being prepared & proactive for storms and severe weather can save lives and minimize costly repairs to damaged property. Oftentimes we have little if any time to prepare for an approaching storm. For families with young children, a mock emergency drill may be a fun yet helpful activity. Show them where to go; where emergency supplies are stored; and make sure everyone in the family knows where & how to turn off the water, gas and electricity in your home.
Preparedness and swift response may save a life or two!
When all’s settled and you find your damaged properties needing cleanup & restoration, call us – SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney and Silver Spring North – 24/7 at 301-340-1313.
We are the area’s water & storm damage experts and are always “Faster to any size disaster.” Large or small, we will restore your water-damaged property, residential or commercial, with efficiency and detail.
Covid cleaning more crucial now as more employers bring back their workforce
Choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned to help keep your customers, employees, as well as students & teachers safe!
With the country easing back into a somewhat normal life, and as a growing number of businesses and workplaces welcoming back their employees, it’s more crucial than ever to have buildings and facilities thoroughly cleaned to keep everyone safe from the coronavirus and other health hazards.
While the COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, SERVPRO franchises throughout the U.S. -- including SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney & Silver Spring North and SERVPRO of Laurel & Greenbelt NE/Beltsville E -- are here to help keep your customers and employees safe, and also let everyone know you've chosen a higher standard of clean.
When you go with us, you’re choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned -- a defensive, proactive viral pathogen cleaning program backed by our more than 50 years of experience in cleanup and restoration. With an industry-leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions and remediation processes, we're helping businesses across the country open safely.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, these are currently known about Covid-19:
- It is spread from person to person and happens most frequently among close contacts (within about 6 feet).
- This type of transmission occurs via respiratory droplets.
- Current evidence suggests that novel coronavirus may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces made from a variety of materials.
- Cleaning of visibly dirty surfaces followed by disinfection is a best practice measure for prevention of Covid-19
Here at SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney and SERVPRO of Laurel, we have seen a spike of Covid-contaminated facilities that we’ve treated in recent months. Just this week (early April), we are still being regularly called out to businesses large and small that had been contaminated by employees with Covid-19.
“It's important that we still stay vigilant and do our part to keep employees safe as they reenter the workspace,” says General Manager Jorge Gutierrez of SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney and SERVPRO of Laurel. Gutierrez also manages SERVPRO of Silver Spring North and SERVPRO of Greenbelt NE/Beltsville E.
When called upon, our ready plan to get your workplaces cleaned & ready to open up again consists of:
A tailored cleaning program to meet your needs.
- We will assign you a Cleaning Protocol Specialist who understands your business.
- Programs are based on a range of factors: type of industry, business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touch points, foot traffic and congestion points.
Proactive and COVID-19 emergency response cleaning program.
- Trained and experienced in biohazard cleaning and decontamination for porous and non-porous surfaces - always adhering to the highest standards set by the CDC.
- EPA-approved products, including our proprietary cleaning agent SERVPROXIDE, a hospital-grade disinfectant that is NSF certified for direct food contact surface use.
A commitment to clean for your employees and consumers.
- Leverage SERVPRO's trusted brand to reassure your customers and employees that you are taking the steps needed to keep your space at the highest level of clean.
- Communication touchpoints include a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned window emblem, signage, marks for your digital footprint and more.
The CDC offers these additional considerations for Employers:
- Employers should work with their local and state health departments to ensure appropriate local protocols and guidelines, such as updated/additional guidance for cleaning and disinfection, are followed, including for identification of new potential cases of COVID-19.
- Employers should educate staff and workers performing cleaning, laundry, and trash pickup activities to recognize the symptoms of Covid-19 and provide instructions on what to do if they develop symptoms within 14 days after their last possible exposure to the virus. At a minimum, any staff should immediately notify their supervisor and the local health department if they develop symptoms of Covid-19.
- Employers should develop policies for worker protection and provide training to all cleaning staff on site prior to providing cleaning tasks. Training should include when to use PPE, what PPE is necessary, how to properly don (put on), use, and doff (take off) PPE, and how to properly dispose of PPE.
- Employers must ensure workers are trained on the hazards of the cleaning chemicals used in the workplace in accordance with appropriate OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) standards.
To schedule a consult for our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program, call us at 301-340-1313 or 301-323-8862. We are here to help!